Dr. Lynn Hernández, PhD

Dr. Lynn Hernández, PhD

Assistant Professor, Brown University;
Director of University Inclusion Program, Brown University

Current Position(s):
Director of University Inclusion Programs | Brown University
Assistant Professor of Behavioral and Social Sciences (Research)
Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies | Brown University

At FIU-CBRI:
Dr. Lynn Hernández received her undergraduate at Florida International University. In addition, she received her master’s degree in Counseling Psychology and her doctoral degree in Developmental Psychology at FIU in 2007. Dr. Hernández worked at CBRI as a doctoral student between the years 2004 – 2007. She performed tasks such as data collection and served as an interventionist on various CBRI RCT studies.

After FIU-CBRI:
After graduating in 2007, Dr. Lynn Hernández accepted a postdoctoral position at Brown University where her research focuses on health disparities and culturally-adapted behavioral interventions for adolescents of color. Dr. Hernández was hired as Assistant Professor at the Brown University Department of Behavioral and Social Sciences in 2009 and at the Brown University Medical School Department of Psychiatry in 2013. In addition, Dr. Hernández holds the position of Director of University Inclusion Programs since 2016.

Dr. Hernández was interviewed on September 5, 2018, and shared her thoughts and memories of her experiences at CBRI.

In what ways has working with the CBRI-team shaped your professional path?
“Had it not been for the training in community-based interventions at the FIU-CBRI, I would have not followed that path. The team was instrumental in teaching me culturally-adapted school-based research and it has built the foundation that I currently stand on. Especially grant-writing experiences have helped me enormously in my subsequent career. Dr. Eric Wagner has been a formative influence in both my professional and personal life, even though he was not my designated supervisor at FIU.”

What do you remember most from your time at FIU-CBRI:
“The sense of community. Being in a filing room working with participant files and having various conversations with the people at FIU-CBRI that were very stimulating or informing at the same time. These were great experiences.”