To expand the mental health work force, the HRSA-Pro grant continues the first HRSA grant’s aim to train 26 students from Social Work, Clinical Mental Health Counseling in Education and Professional Counseling in Psychology programs. The program adopts the NeighboordHELP ™ (NHELP) Education Learning Program’s model and partner with at least 8 behavioral health clinics in the larger Miami metropolitan area.
Across 4 grant year cycles, fellows each take a 50-hour interdisciplinary course that aims to:
- Grow training in team-based trauma-informed care
- Promote the integration of technology and e-health (including EMRs)
- Increase training in prevention and treatment of substance abuse
- Promote social work faculty expertise.
- Address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on mental health service provision.
Principal Investigators: Eric Wagner, Ph.D.
- Staci Leon Morris, Psy.D
News Articles and Websites:
- FIU Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training for Professionals (BHWET-Pro) Fellowship https://stempel.fiu.edu/stempel-college-fiu-awarded-a-1-9-million-grant-to-help-train-counselors-in-behavioral-health-care-for-underserved-populations/